Create an account

.: Home :.  |  .: Topics :.  |  .: Forums :.  |  .: Your Account :.  |  .: Submit News :.  |  .: DKP :.
Search

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Everquest

· Home
· AH_chatroom
· Apply Here!
· Calendar
· DKP
· FAQ
· Forums
· Point System
· Private Messages
· Raid-o-matic
· Rules, Loot & AH
· Search
· Stories Archive
· Submit News
· Top 10
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your Account

Who's Online

Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Membership:
Latest: Brinie
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 804

People Online:
Visitors: 157
Members: 1
Total: 158

Online Now:
01: Endiment
After Hours Raiding: Forums

:: View topic - Question on killing mass pulls
 Forum Index

Forum FAQForum FAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question on killing mass pulls

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tetrafluor
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Question on killing mass pulls Reply with quote

Ok, so trying to figure out a good group makeup and strategy for killing mass pulls (i.e. 10-20 mobs at a time).

I've seen and read strategies on PBAE killing with wizards, though I've seen reference to other methods that aren't pbae based and I would like to do with 4 or less.

So, thinking crowd control with an enchanter (stuns for CC, and maybe some mezzes but not necessarily). Ranger for ae root/snare (only in case things go bad). Shaman for group heals/ae slows/ and minor ae's. Now what i've read is that other member is basically a tank/pulling class like a shadowknight, so what i'm wondering is how would a char like a shadowknight do enough dps on stunned mobs to make it worthwhile, riposte wouldnt' hit, and sk's don't get ae's. For instance would have to get enough to kill mobs in 15-30 seconds each in zones up through TSS. Aggro wouldn't likely be a problem due to sk ae aggro and rune procs, and an ae weapon like a poison wind censer or earthshaker wouldnt' give the kind of damage needed to take mobs down fast enough.

Anyone have any insight into how to make this work? I've heard references of this being done so I know it can be, and know its not using exponential damage like shakerpaging (which is nerfed anyway)
Sorcier
Officer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious about something. Does a ranger ae snare get more than 4? Wiz's have an ae snare but will only get 4 at a time and only lasts for 2.5 mins.

I will say wizzies have a directional ae based spell that could be used for no good. The highest one now is cold based (-50) at 3200 damage for the tier I. I use the fire one on the spider we do and it does about 2400. I haven't heard of other ways to mass kill though.
Aleax
Officer & Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best way I have found is chanter / wizard pair.... one chain stuns.. one nukes
Officer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranger all the way! Our AE roots is directional too, but very wide arc nearly covering whole screen. It has a long recast that seems about 5 seconds, but an unlimited number of mobs it hits. We also have a directional AE DD that runs off our archery skill (and is classed as ranged physical damage). It basically hits the mob with 4 arrows as if we were firing from a bow with high damage (I'd guess a 50 damage bow). This happens to be our best damage nuke even when using on a single mob (3-10k) but obviously that increases the more mobs that are hit by it. However, it hits a max of 8 mobs, and takes skill to use as the arc is very small. If the mobs you want to mass kill are Lblue> humanoids then we suddenly become kick ass with the headshot AA. Headshot is like slay undead whereby each arrow has a chance to do 65k damage (about 1/20 arrows?). If you pull 20 such mobs, work them to a tight bunch, AE root /w vinelash, AE DD /w AoA, and successfully hit 8 with it, you will average 150k damage per cast.

Its a lot of fun!

However, if the mobs are a higher level, and you can't headshot them then these figures decrease a lot! The AE roots will never get resisted, however with 20 higher level mobs, you may find one break roots after a few seconds. Thankfully when a mob breaks roots with vinelash, it automatically gets snared. As another failsafe if you chose ranger you get to Weapon Shield in emergencies, or on the pull to bunch the mobs up extra tight. Also worth adding, we get an instant cast DoT of 400-500 a tick which you can use, although it'll run through mana fast if you're doing 20 at a time.

I didn't know about the wizzy directional AE, but I'd say with some practice you could fire a fresh vinelash right after a wiz AE nuke to reestablish roots, then AoA during the vinelash recast delay, and repeat.

Sorcier - we have a date!
Tetrafluor
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to set this up, have my wife's chanter I can bring Wink
Aleax
Officer & Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy to bring my chanter / wizard team... My wizard is only 66ish but more AE damage the better I think.
Officer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what mobs did you have in mind tet?
Tetrafluor
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to figure that a bit, but I think we'd start easy and maybe try RSS due to double exp bonus there.

Though old faithfuls are of course Fire (maybe too low now), but something in dodh instances there (pretty easy to train in a couple of them).
Herkybevo
Squad Leader
Squad Leader

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently 12/13 of the Headshot AA that Wwein has mentioned. With it, I am able to have a chance to headshot mobs up to lvl 70. Needless to say, when I am bored I go to PoFire and head to the tables/courtyard area. I am able to get 3% aa per kill. Using the method Wwein described, I usually get about 21-27% aa per pull. Each pull can last 10 seconds up to about a minute.
Wwein
Officer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooooh looks like non-named mobs in RSS cap out at level 72, which is the max level HS works to (have to be lvl 85 with every rank in it). I doubt it'll still be a hotzone by the time i'm big enough, but frank should be!
elric
Trojan Man (and officer)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerf Ranjas!!!! Laughing

Wait, Frank, is that you? Shocked

Nevermind, move along folks, nothing to see here.... Arrow
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Board All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: