Create an account

.: Home :.  |  .: Topics :.  |  .: Forums :.  |  .: Your Account :.  |  .: Submit News :.  |  .: DKP :.
Search

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Everquest

· Home
· AH_chatroom
· Apply Here!
· Calendar
· DKP
· FAQ
· Forums
· Point System
· Private Messages
· Raid-o-matic
· Rules, Loot & AH
· Search
· Stories Archive
· Submit News
· Top 10
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your Account

Who's Online

Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Membership:
Latest: Brinie
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 804

People Online:
Visitors: 178
Members: 0
Total: 178
After Hours Raiding: Forums

:: View topic - No warning email when you are about to lose all your tiers?
 Forum Index

Forum FAQForum FAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

No warning email when you are about to lose all your tiers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cantinal
After Hours Member
After Hours Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree with no reset the way the system is now... I am an old timer but I dont have super old timer DKP like some do.

The tier system really limits you to ONE loot anyhow like Tetra said, not like you can keep the tiers and then get lmore then one thing from it.

JPD has a similar system and some old timers are coming back and getting one thing but then you reset to zero and have to go again
Aleax
Officer & Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poll created...

http://www.ahraiding.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=37601#37601
Squad Leader
Squad Leader

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Aleax
elric
Trojan Man (and officer)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you aleax.

Now that I've calmed down, and thinking clearly, one loot is really no big deal. I'm gonna support the no reset.

It will reward those who helped, and not penalize those who take a break for whatever reason.

Well thought out post, Tetra.

Elric, the Pally with the Pink Hat that's sometimes too tight Laughing
Oakblade
After Hours Member
After Hours Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious why an automatic PM or even a manual alert of your 40 raids is needed to be sent to you. Just because you have personal things filling your time, or other raids to go to, doesnt mean you can't take the responsibilty yourself and log into the AH site once every 2 weeks and see if you have missed close to 40 raids.

Why make others do the work for you if its your tiers you are concerned for. Making officers check the raids missed of each player, checking how many should get tells or emails this day or that day seems like alot more work than 1 player logging in and seeing that he has missed 35 and better log in to raid or send a PM to an officer explaining he will be gone a few more days.

I agree an automatic PM would be nice, but if you can log in to read that, why cant you log in to check your raids missed anyways?
elric
Trojan Man (and officer)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valid Point, Oak.

I take Franklaw's example as how we should do it. After years of the same job, with limited vacation, he got laid off. With money saved, he took an extended road trip to see old friends. Whether or not he had a laptop, and internet access where he could log on and play, his foray into RL helped him a lot. AH isn't just about raiding, we're concerned about our members.

I didn't even realize, when I entered raids, that I'd reset Frank's tier. This is someone I consider a friend. This is someone in my fellowship. Hell, this is someone that helped me to learn how to tank when I first started the game.

I cannot and will not adjust his tiers to replace what he lost. That said, Frank raided with AH almost every Sat night that I've been in AH (Work meant no other raids). For him to lose those tiers hit me harder than it did him. It's one reason I'm so stressed ATM.

Franklaw introduced me into AH. The debt I owe him is something I can never repay, though I will try.

Oak, I understand your point. That said, after what happenned to Frank, I've changed my mind. One loot lost to a returning member will be minimal, and I'd think peer pressure would stop them from claiming uber item #1 if they're not gonna stick around.
Cantinal
After Hours Member
After Hours Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thought on this is still the same. Raiding to get your tiers up and then having other things to do and then you come back and get ONE and only one loot. Even if it is the first time that item has droped if you only raid once every month or few weeks that means it will take you a year to get your tiers back.

Now, I also agree that the fact that people cant spend 10 min in a day to look at this site once a week or every 2 weeks is just wrong but I think it is more then wrong to essentially steal someones work because you are afraid they will take one piece of hypothetical loot some random time in the future.
Aleax
Officer & Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think this has anything to do with being afraid someone will take one piece of loot. It is more to do with supporting AH's longterm goals. We want to focus on people that are actually supporting AH rather than the driveby raiders that nobody can tell when they will show up. For those type, they need to be happy they have a raiding organization that will allow them that freedom and take what they can get when they can get it. It is not AH's position or job to make one particular raider happy over the masses that actually do show up enough to keep tiers building so they can be spent.
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I figure its time to get something off my chest about this and better explain my point of view...

For me, my work and home situation changed, I started trying to reach a better balance between RL and eq.

I tried continuing to raid infrequently after we changed the DKP system, just to maintain tier (since we all had our original tier after the change until we looted once). But after trying to keep that up for about a month and a half, I waited too long once, either because I lost track of how long I was gone, or the raids were less predictable than I thought, I can't remember, but it got reset.

It sucked and I was irritated, I didn't even get my one initial loot that reset my originally huge tier, but I figured i'd just work my way back up slowly as I rarely looted anyway before the dkp change and I'd just try to be more diligent about watching and forcing myself to raid regardless of whether I had time frequently enough. Though after about the 3rd time of having my tier reset because of missing the window, I just gave up and said screw it (in a less PC way however).

That was of course before we changed it to 40 instead of 20 raids missed, though I honestly don't see a big difference. Depending on my schedule, whether we actual won a raid when I was on, and how many raids AH does when I'm not on, I can't predict what is going to happen to my tiers unless I schedule specific times frequent enough to keep it from being reset, which due to RL I'm just not going to do. Actually I think that is the reason why some of the later resets occurred, because I attended a failed raid with the time I did have so didn't get credit, and couldn't get back on again soon enough.

Now, in part because of this, I really only care for the group game. Raiding gets me nothing, nor even any promise of anything, so I don't bother. I've even tried to raid at times just to say hey with AH, but in all honestly I get bored and get back to thinking "what's the point?". In fact because of that I've changed my entire game tactics, I play my alt more than my main tetra because i feel like I'm advancing more, and the AA's I choose are group first, and then raid aa's second (if at all). And best of all this always fits my schedule.

I believe this even soured my desire to continue on improving the website. I used to enjoy working on the site and adding new features, and still do enjoy web building, though now I honestly don't care to do much other than make sure the site is still running and see how things are going on the forums. Mostly I think I'm still even doing this because I'm hosting the site, and I still feel a connection to the organization I put so much into.

As I've mentioned before, the main reason I joined AH way back when over a raiding guild was because of our policy of once a member always a member, and because of the lack of any mandatory attendance. I.e. by default it always fit my schedule and there was no forced pressure to override RL. Now that's changed.

With the way things are now, I do feel forced and pressured, because even though we don't have official mandatory attendance, we do have mandatory attendance to keep from losing the hard work you've put in in the past. If I don't keep "punching the clock" everything goes poof and I'm back at zero. What I don't need is another "job".

So basically for me, and in light of the way things have become with the organization, I have absolutely no motivation to participate, because even if I can make raid time fit my schedule, I gain no value. Participating is just more work I'm obligated to do to avoid a loss. I'm better off just grouping during raid time, and honestly, I'm kinda pissed off about things ending up that way. I used to raid because there was a carrot, when that turned into a stick, I stopped. Negative reinforcement sucks ass.
Zacatac
Officer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tetrafluor wrote:
Actually I think that is the reason why some of the later resets occurred, because I attended a failed raid with the time I did have so didn't get credit, and couldn't get back on again soon enough.

We get credit for failed raids, so I'm really not sure what you are talking about in all that rant.

You go to 1 raid every 2-3 weeks, you are on a raid, and you get attendence credit and no reset.

Simple as that.
Aleax
Officer & Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually just one mob saves your tiers. Don't even have to be there the whole night.
Trojan Man (and officer)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what happenned, Tetra. Even a wipe should have reset your missed raids. Only thing I can think of is you were LD or something when the Raid Dump was taken. If I was leading when that happenned, I humbly apologize.

I totally agree with RL over EQ. That is the only way to do things.

Tetra, all I can say now is I'm sorry we let you down.
Tetrafluor
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zacatac wrote:

We get credit for failed raids, so I'm really not sure what you are talking about in all that rant.

The only time tiers are given is when a raid is entered into the database. Also if the name of the encounter is marked bonus or has a * preceding the name no tier credit is given even if the raid is entered into the database. In the past failed raids were not even entered into the database as no DKP was to be awarded. I haven't raided in a while, so I don't know if that has changed since I left and you joined, but my recollection of the last times I raided was that it was a failed raid, and that shortly thereafter (shortly is of course a relative term) my tier was reset. Maybe it wasn't because of a failed raid but rather missing of too many, but either way it was reset.

Zacatac wrote:

You go to 1 raid every 2-3 weeks, you are on a raid, and you get attendence credit and no reset.

Simple as that.

As I said, RL > EQ for me. While raiding every 2-3 weeks may be simple for you, my ability to do that regularly every 2-3 weeks is not simple and not guaranteed. Additionally, even if I could attend regularly every 2-3 weeks without missing one cycle, the number of raids AH hits in that timeframe is unpredictable, particularly when tier credit is being given for trash clears. If I miss my timeframe once, then I get reset. After having several resets already I'm not interested in losing my work again. That basically was the point of my post... don't miss the forest for the trees.... Go play Wii and have someone keep hitting the reset button on you and you'll get a feeling for what I'm trying to get across.
Zacatac
Officer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tetrafluor wrote:
In the past failed raids were not even entered into the database as no DKP was to be awarded. I haven't raided in a while, so I don't know if that has changed since I left and you joined

Well it has changed then. We do raids where we spend all night and fail to win, people still get credit and tiers for being there. And it was changed from 20 ro 40 raids, giving people twice the amount of time they could miss.

I wouldn't care if it got changed. But I just want to make sure you and others aren't using bad information to make a decision about something.

Quote:
As I said, RL > EQ for me.

As it should be. But again, we are talking about a couple hours of time during a 3 week period. And most of the people in After Hours ARE playing EQ at least that amount of time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Board All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: