Create an account

.: Home :.  |  .: Topics :.  |  .: Forums :.  |  .: Your Account :.  |  .: Submit News :.  |  .: DKP :.
Search

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Everquest

· Home
· AH_chatroom
· Apply Here!
· Calendar
· DKP
· FAQ
· Forums
· Point System
· Private Messages
· Raid-o-matic
· Rules, Loot & AH
· Search
· Stories Archive
· Submit News
· Top 10
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your Account

Who's Online

Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Membership:
Latest: Brinie
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 804

People Online:
Visitors: 307
Members: 0
Total: 307
After Hours Raiding: Forums

:: View topic - Resolution to my lab problems....
 Forum Index

Forum FAQForum FAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Resolution to my lab problems....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elrico
Squad Leader
Squad Leader

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Resolution to my lab problems.... Reply with quote

I have had terrible lag problems in large events like FoS3 for some time now. I have a GeForce 8600 GT video card that should be able to handle it, along with a dual core processor.

I have tried all sorts of settings in display and bios, as well as updating all my drivers to the latest. However, the lag problem just would not go away.

Now, quite on a whim, I found my problem..... and now I can MOVE in the LOBBY with ZERO lag !

On the file update screen, before you press the Play button, there is a Game Options button we previously used to turn on/off emote, old models and that sort of stuff. I have not looked at it in ages. The first thing it brings up is the Display Adapter, which was WRONG. It had a GeForcee 7600 GS listed as my primary adapter, which was my previous adapter.

To fix this, I went to the eqhardware.ini file in /programfiles/Everquest and remove all the contents of the [video] section and saved the file. The next time I booted EQ and went to Game Options, the proper Display adapter was present and my lag issues are a thing of the past.

If anyone else is having lag issues when they think they shouldn't be, please take a look.

Hope it helps,

Rich
Elrico
Squad Leader
Squad Leader

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this setting was wrong on 2 of 3 machines. Correcting it has practically eliminated my lag problems. I would strongly enourage others to check theirs, especially if they have upgraded video cards.
Elrico
Squad Leader
Squad Leader

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. one more update. I have found that somewhere along the way, EQ stopped using the eqhardware.ini file and now uses a eqdevice.txt file. Once I removed the old adapter information from the eqhardware.ini file, it did not repopulate as expected. I went to the one machine that was correct in the Game Options display and looked for the eqhardware.ini file.. but did not find it. That is when I found the eqdevice.txt file contained the graphics card information. It makes sense as i had rebuilt that machine, including a hard drive reformat, just this year.

Bottom line, if you are having lag issues and you find that the Game Options is not displaying the correct information, just delete everything in the [video] section of the eqhardware.ini file... if it exists.

Cheers,

Rich
elric
Trojan Man (and officer)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thrilled you got yours fixed, man.

I hope this will help other folks as well.
kebekak
After Hours Member
After Hours Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same issue with the wrong display adapter listed. Mine is still listed as the original 7600gt, been replaced with a 8500, and recently a 9400. I'll give your recommendation a try. Thanks for the post.

On a side note:
I had an anomoly few months ago with the 8500 ... game would crash with this dialogue box " Reset failed! #### ". Reboot to EQ would produce the same fault just after login screen. Needed a system reboot to launch into game again. Error was more frequent to the point where I coouldn't log-in at all and card was replaced .. under warrenty. Its happened once with the 9400.

Any ideas what caused the error ? . Just picking your brains for fun. Smile

EDIT: took Elrico's actions .... issues resolved now. Thanks Elrico.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Board All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: