Create an account

.: Home :.  |  .: Topics :.  |  .: Forums :.  |  .: Your Account :.  |  .: Submit News :.  |  .: DKP :.
Search

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Everquest

· Home
· AH_chatroom
· Apply Here!
· Calendar
· DKP
· FAQ
· Forums
· Point System
· Private Messages
· Raid-o-matic
· Rules, Loot & AH
· Search
· Stories Archive
· Submit News
· Top 10
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your Account

Who's Online

Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Membership:
Latest: Brinie
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 804

People Online:
Visitors: 154
Members: 0
Total: 154
After Hours Raiding: Forums

:: View topic - Someone please shoot me now!
 Forum Index

Forum FAQForum FAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Someone please shoot me now!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Korinne
After Hours Member
After Hours Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Someone please shoot me now! Reply with quote

Ok so like I was telling Shieara.....my computer is having serious issues....to the point where the entire stupid thing just freezes or the graphics in EQ blink on and off and I get a frame by frame video. So until I can figure it out ...or pay someone to fix it ....or buy another computer....I am not going to be online. I will try to load EQ on my work laptop ...and be there for ah and guild raids but I don't know how successful that will be.

It's always something....you think you get everything all squared away and all is working well and then ....something ELSE breaks.

/sigh....I will keep in touch!

Korinne Neverfound, Lost Druid of Norrath
Endiment
After Hours Member
After Hours Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does it happen only while playing 3D games? sounds possibly like a heat issue, or could be bad memory or maybe your power supply isn't big enough.

Open the side of the case and put a fan on it, and also check to make all the cards are inserted fully and nothing is loose.

Korinne
After Hours Member
After Hours Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't changed anything on this computer in a while....it was working fine until I moved to the new apartment and then I only had issues with internet connection. The expansion came out and for whatever reason it coincided with my computer doing wierd things.

Endiment
After Hours Member
After Hours Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe something came a little loose when you moved? open it up and make sure everything is connected good.

Celephane
Officer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gremlins!

See the movie
propertool
Squad Leader
Squad Leader

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe your computer caught something from Shieara... Twisted Evil
After Hours Member
After Hours Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have checked everything....and it all works but EQ Sad well...it doesn't like windows media player either but oh well....I dunno what the deal is.

Still working on it! /shoots my computer

Auldaen
Squad Leader
Squad Leader

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sounds to me like it could be bandwidth, I know when i went from Dial up to DSL there was a significant drop in lag issues like you described, Have you done troubleshooting in game like turning off all graphics and character models?

If this type of thing helps, you should check your bandwidth speed, or it is possible you have developed a memory leak.

Even if you have not changed anything on this puter, your equip can degrade and or fail, if a memory cad goes down you will experience issues of lag or when your computer is maxing its resources.
Korinne
After Hours Member
After Hours Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok well I have discovered what is wrong with my computer. I have not one...not two...but LOTS of viruses...and even running Norton ...they aren't detected. Norton removed 2 suspicious files day before yesterday but apparently that only made things worse. I don't have a copy of my operating system because when I had my computer repaired...by boss took it upon himself to put Win 2k on there (which works well ......but.....). At this point I don't have any alternative but to wait and save up some money to 1. buy a new computer (which I need badly anyways) or 2. repair the one I have (which may or may NOT be less expensive). Sunday I was able to play but I guess that took whatever was left of my computer's little brain. Yesterday, she gave up the ghost. I can still save my data and everything but she randomly reboots, has this irritating pop up saying something about ordinal 968 cannot be found in LIBEAY32.dll and such. It's rather annoying. I am going to be backing up my personal files and such and pray they aren't full of viruses too.

I will attempt to load EQ on my work laptop but I am going to have to delete some files first. So as much as I hate it....don't expect me to be online for a week at the least.

/hugs to you all

See you soon!

Endiment
After Hours Member
After Hours Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korinne wrote:
Ok well I have discovered what is wrong with my computer. I have not one...not two...but LOTS of viruses...

reminds me of: http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail118.html

Strong Sad: Strong Bad, did you get a computer virus?
Strong Bad: Umm, no...
Strong Sad: Did you get four hundred thousand viruses?
Strong Bad: Yes, very yes...

I'm sure have a Win2k CD around here I can give you, or if you want, I can give you XP, so you can reformat after you back everything up.

Auldaen
Squad Leader
Squad Leader

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife's laptop was severely infected with spyware and viruses, to the point where pop ups and redirects were not able to let her use the computer. I Downloaded Spybot search & Destroy, a program that removes and fixes alot of the known spyware and viruses. you can download it here:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

You need to download and install the software, run an update for new defenitions, then run it 1-4 times rebooting between runs. It should clear up 90% of the issues, you can give it a try if you can stay up long enough to download and run the program. It may help - best of all it is free- cept for the time you take doing it.

Good Luck

-Auldaen
Shieara
After Hours Member
After Hours Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kor if you can't download it on your home PC you may be able to burn it on a disk at work...assuming you have a CD burner. The virus scan I mean.

As far as Win2k goes, I don't have a copy of that OS or I would send you a disk you can work from. If anyone does and is comfortable with making a copy, I'd gladly pay shipping fees for the CD to get it to Kor. I always heard that OS sucked so...I stuck with Win98 until XP was released.
Shatiba
Newb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can send a copy of W2K to you Korinne. PM me with address.

I use McAfee and AVG for virus detection and removal. McAfee 9.0 is $13.95 on zipzoomfly, and AVG is free at http://www.grisoft.com/doc/71/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

For Adware/Spyware, I use Ad-Aware (free at http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5) and MS AntiSpyware http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

Both Adware programs are free and updated regularly.

- Shatiba
Korinne
After Hours Member
After Hours Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran adaware a million times...it didn't help ......I did a complete virus scan of my computer with Norton as well.

I know I have viruses because I looked at my startup and did some research and found so many files that were known to be left by trojans and worms I felt like I was in a zoo.

Seems however, that a friend worked on my computer and he says that it is functioning...we will see when I get home.

Shieara ...I love you but you aren't allowed to pay for the shipping! /smooches

Culdahl
Lord of the Assless Chaps (and officer)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korinne wrote:
I ran adaware a million times...it didn't help ......I did a complete virus scan of my computer with Norton as well.

I know I have viruses because I looked at my startup and did some research and found so many files that were known to be left by trojans and worms I felt like I was in a zoo.

Seems however, that a friend worked on my computer and he says that it is functioning...we will see when I get home.

Shieara ...I love you but you aren't allowed to pay for the shipping! /smooches

None of those adware removers will fully remove all trojans. It takes a combination of adware/virus detection software (more then one) + a lot of hard work and searching on your part. Trojans are built so that when they are deleted they will reinstall themselves upon a computer restart...they hide dozens of files in your registry to be able to do this (not to mention other folders as well).

What you need to do is find what you believe to be a trojan and google it on the net...this typically leads to some really good information sites that will walk you through the removal process and give you the alternate file names it could be under. One example is the "Ncase" trojan I got a year or so ago....I had to do a a manual search for Ncase (and several variations of it) in order to locate all of the files. I also had to do a "find" in my registry in order to locate all of the registry keys (can do this by typing "regedit" in "run"). On top of all that, I had to boot into safe mode to remove the .exe files that kept reinstalling themselves.

These viruses are a HUGE pain in the ass and it is often easier to just wipe the HD and start over unless you have the patience to do what I mentioned above.

P.S. - Did you try new drivers yet?

P.P.S. - Here's a couple more things you could try http://tomcoyote.org/hjt/#Top (download hijackthis and run....it will give you a list of active processes that you can "fix". Just be sure to back it up or be real careful what you remove because it is permanent in most cases)....also, type msconfig in "run" and click the start up tab....see what you have checked and remove anything checked that isn't absolutely neccessary. You hsould also check your running processes by typing ctrl+alt+del and end any process that isn't essential (and check the processes on google to see if any are trojans).

Good luck:-)

Culd
Korinne
After Hours Member
After Hours Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that would be an option if there weren't at least 30 of them in my startup ....they are just reinstalling themselves and its quite annoying.

For some reason...MSCONFIG is disabled now =/ I am sure that one of these bugs did that too.

My computer is mostly functional for now after my friend worked on it but some things are just not "right". For now I will deal with it until I can get the money to buy XP and just format and reinstall /rude Norton.

I used to work for a computer repair place...and I have seen spyware do its worst....this is a prime example of an innocent bystander getting reamed Sad I don't do much on my computer except read the boards and play neopets and uhhh EQ.

Hopefully I will see you guys tonight

Culdahl
Lord of the Assless Chaps (and officer)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korinne wrote:
Well that would be an option if there weren't at least 30 of them in my startup ....they are just reinstalling themselves and its quite annoying.

For some reason...MSCONFIG is disabled now =/ I am sure that one of these bugs did that too.

My computer is mostly functional for now after my friend worked on it but some things are just not "right". For now I will deal with it until I can get the money to buy XP and just format and reinstall /rude Norton.

I used to work for a computer repair place...and I have seen spyware do its worst....this is a prime example of an innocent bystander getting reamed Sad I don't do much on my computer except read the boards and play neopets and uhhh EQ.

Hopefully I will see you guys tonight

Do you have a firewall kor? I use zonealarm and it works quite well with EQ and has done a good job at protecting my PC (plus it's free).
Endiment
After Hours Member
After Hours Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korinne wrote:
For now I will deal with it until I can get the money to buy XP and just format and reinstall /rude Norton.

I can give you a copy of Windows XP

Vaimpir
After Hours Member
After Hours Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kori, I once had a particularly foul piece of adware/malware that would automatically shutdown task manager as soon as it popped up. It would shutdown AdAware and Norton/McAfee also. My solution was to rename taskman.exe to taskman2.exe. It was looking for taskman.exe and not the other. So, I was able to run task manager, find the despicable processes, shut them down, and then run the software I needed to remove all the crap. All in all, I think it took about 6 hours for me to figure out how to get the processes stopped and clean my system. Afterwards, my (10 years old at the time) step-daughter and I had a little talk about "responsible surfing". To this day, she asks permission before installing anything.
Anyway, I'm not sure if it will work or not, but you could locate and rename msconfig.exe and see if that works. Good luck and we hope to see you soon.

Vaimpir Niteblade
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Board All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: