Create an account

.: Home :.  |  .: Topics :.  |  .: Forums :.  |  .: Your Account :.  |  .: Submit News :.  |  .: DKP :.
Search

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Everquest

· Home
· AH_chatroom
· Apply Here!
· Calendar
· DKP
· FAQ
· Forums
· Point System
· Private Messages
· Raid-o-matic
· Rules, Loot & AH
· Search
· Stories Archive
· Submit News
· Top 10
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your Account

Who's Online

Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)
Membership:
Latest: Brinie
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 804

People Online:
Visitors: 156
Members: 0
Total: 156
After Hours Raiding: Forums

:: View topic - New time for Raids??
 Forum Index

Forum FAQForum FAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New time for Raids??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Striatus
Squad Leader
Squad Leader

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: New time for Raids?? Reply with quote

Am sorry to say but one the main reasons i joined Afterhours was the Time. In my time zone i am unable to raid at earlier hours even now on most raiding nite and taking off work early to make raid to help support all my Friends. With this new time I wont be able to make the start of the RAids am very Dissapointed indeed
Culdahl
Lord of the Assless Chaps (and officer)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New time for Raids?? Reply with quote

Striatus wrote:
Am sorry to say but one the main reasons i joined Afterhours was the Time. In my time zone i am unable to raid at earlier hours even now on most raiding nite and taking off work early to make raid to help support all my Friends. With this new time I wont be able to make the start of the RAids am very Dissapointed indeed

The first hour or so in time is nothing more then clearing P1/P2... you really won't be missing much by showing up at the normal time imo. Though, I don't think we need to schedule an early time for day 2, as we finished at 1030 pst on thursday and will likely get quicker with each time we clear it.
Olidan
After Hours Member
After Hours Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did discuss an alternative solution, whereby we would all move to Hawaii......... but figured this would be easier Smile

Anyway - no worries, Time is easy to catch up to a raid in progress.
DarbyQ
DarbyQ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WAIT !!!

I wanna move to Hawaii !!!
Krisstoff
After Hours Member
After Hours Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Culd said, don't worry Stria Smile The earlier start is only for the nights we raid Time, not for all raids. And like Culd also pointed out, the first hour of Time is nothing more than doing p1 and/or p2, both of which don't have upgrades for many. So no worries, you'll be able to log on before we hit the gods up Very Happy
Shieara
After Hours Member
After Hours Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. As others have said this is just to get P1/2 out of the way before we move on. This will also be an experiment...if it doesn't work out we won't try it again. I have had a *lot* of requests for it though. People were having a lot of problems staying awake for the finish.

Anyways, we will see how it goes the first time and decide from then if we want to continue or not.
Xyyth
After Hours Member
After Hours Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New time for Raids?? Reply with quote

Striatus wrote:

You can just join us whenever you get home. There are a lot of people in the Eastern time zone who can't stay up until 3AM when they have to get up at 5 or 6 AM to get ready to go to work. It's not going to work out for everyone but it will allow those in later time zones to participate longer.

Xyyth Rohrlohrd (73 Beastlord) - http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=242104
Wendaen
Oh Silent One

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the earlier start is a bad idea. People will be missing out on first part of raid which means they will be missing out on dkp. Which isn't fair to those that can't make it online for the early start.
Kalakob
After Hours Member
After Hours Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p1 is worth .1 and p2 isnt worth that much more the loot isnt that great and we cant even seem to get a raid in til about 10:30 anyway /shrug not sure how often ill be able to get on that early but whenever i can id support it. i think its a good idea
Vudukitty
Officer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Even though i am a East coaster, the standard raid time is the best i can look for, changing an hour early will not allow me to make the beginning of any major raids. I will do what i can but not assuming i will be there for start if things move an hour earlier.

Vudu
Nahallac
After Hours Member
After Hours Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the same boat as Striat / Vudu. I get off work about 30 mins before normal AH raid time, and changing it 1 hour earlier would not allow me to make the start of almost any raid.

Now, it's not a big deal for day 1 of time, and I understand the need to do so. I don't mind missing phase 1, 2, or even 3 really.

But day 1 was the only long day we had. Day 2 was actually very quick. And if we start day 2 early, like the raid schedule currently says, people like me will miss out on almost the whole raid for day 2. That would be quite disappointing to me =(.

In summary. Starting day 1 early? Fine. Starting day 2 early? Bad. Very Happy
Sulsil
After Hours Member
After Hours Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here an idea while not perfect might solve the issue. Start at the earlier time for P1 and P2 and award no DKP for those raids. Essentially the players involved would be volunteering their time to enable themselves the ability to finish P3 onward at what for them is a decent hour.

I also am generally in favor of not messing with the start time but would be willing to attend earlier for the greater good of all the folks involved. I am clear that the folks finishing P1-P2 could make a case that they are being penaltized, but the counter to that statement is that the folks who can't make the earlier time would be otherwise.

Bottom Line-- both groups are kinda unhappy, while at the same time allowing us to finish earlier. Often in sum zero situations like this that's as good as it gets.

Sulsil
Shieara
After Hours Member
After Hours Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the "they might miss out on dkp" argument holds water.

There are a lot of people that can't make certain night's raids because of work, rl, or whatever. They are missing dkp. So we shouldn't hold raids those nights.

There are some people that can't make the normal time of 8 pst. They are missing dkp as well. So we shouldn't start at 8 pst. Lets start later.

There are some people who can't say past 10 pst. They are missing dkp. So lets not raid so long.

You see where I am going with this? There are a lot of times when people miss some, or the entire night of raiding due to real-life issues. You can't accomodate everybody; it just doesn't work. There's also not going to be any raiding where there is no reward. That kind of thing works okay for a guild, but it will not work for an organization like Afterhours. We're pretty much a mercenary organization above all.

Bottom line is this. We are going to try this the next time we do Time if we have enough people to make it possible. If, after evaluation, it ends up sucking we will no longer schedule it that way. If it seems like it gets us out of Time at a reasonable hour on Wednesdays it will remain. Lets give it a chance at least and see how it works before we all start complaining. You might be surprised.
Lacomb
Newb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/nod Shie

I'm afraid both in game and in real life there is very little that infuriates me more then the seemingly widespread policy of the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Someone wants to try something new or different for whatever the reason, try it before going off and complaining. Save your commentary to events that have actually transpired and reflect back upon them with a bit of hindsight.

PS: Actually Taste your food Before you reach for the salt shaker.
Xyyth
After Hours Member
After Hours Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wendaen wrote:
I think the earlier start is a bad idea. People will be missing out on first part of raid which means they will be missing out on dkp. Which isn't fair to those that can't make it online for the early start.

Yeah, but what's more fair? Someone missing out on some DKP for a game or someone missing work because we don't finish until 2 or 3AM? Either way, someone is going to miss out on DKP...either on the front end if they show up late or on the back end if they have to leave early due to their jobs.

Never would I have suspected that starting an hour earlier would cause such an uproar. I expected an opposite response. If people want to nitpick about losing DKP, why should those who have to leave early get credit for the full raids while the rest of us stay and bust our butts to get the same credit? It's the same philosophy as someone wanting DKP when the raid starts just because they can't make it there for a piddly P1 or P2 kill. /shrug

Xyyth Rohrlohrd (73 Beastlord) - http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=242104

Last edited by Xyyth on Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:17 am; edited 2 times in total
Ghraa
After Hours Member
After Hours Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
changing an hour early will not allow me to make the beginning of any major raids

I don't get this. Its been mentioned several times that this is JUST FOR TIME RAIDS. Maybe all caps and bold colors will make a difference debunking this rather then perpetuating the myth that AH start times have somehow fundamentally changed.

Quote:
People will be missing out on first part of raid which means they will be missing out on dkp. Which isn't fair to those that can't make it online for the early start

Please allow me to rewrite this sentence as:

Quote:
"East Coasters will be missing out on the last part of the raid which means they will be missing out on DKP. Which isn't fair to those that can't stay online without an early start"

Its goes bothways man.

Either way someone loses out on some DKP. Personally I would rather have a few missing from P1 which has mediocre loot and a CAP ON HOW MANY CAN BE THERE ANYWAY and have everyone there for the named kills.

As it is we have most people there for P1 (and now that there are few piggies we will probably exceed the cap and some will have to just sit at the entrance and listen to /rs channel) and some east coast people that have to drop out when we finally start doing named mobs with good loot.

Geez people. This should be a no brainer. I'm not out to hurt anyones feeling but there is a very clear advantage to a greater number of people by starting early on this one particular raid.

If you still haven't caught on the choice is "do we want most of our people there for P1 (with a cap of 54) or do we want most of our people there for named kills (with a cap of 72)".

Your going to get some very odd looks if you seriously thing the former is better then the later.
Wendaen
Oh Silent One

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@shieara: so those that can't make it to the normal 8pm raiding time get to miss even more raiding?

@xyyth: if i remember correctly, afterhours is more than just a name.

@ghraa: I understand that it's only for the time raids but i like to be at EVERY ah raid. I'm one of those rare people that likes to raid no matter what we are killing.
Olidan
After Hours Member
After Hours Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wendaen wrote:
I understand that it's only for the time raids but i like to be at EVERY ah raid. I'm one of those rare people that likes to raid no matter what we are killing.

Many of us would like to do that - but we don't because the hours eventually catch up with us. I believe there are MANY MANY AH'rs - including me - who NEVER miss a raid if they are on (unless there is a guild raid at the same time).

If we decided to schedule raids so that folks who wanted to could in fact attend EVERY raid, we would be raiding like 5 minutes a week imo.
Lord of the Assless Chaps (and officer)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moral of the story - Give it a week or two and see if we can field enough people to clear P1. If so, you are missing out on nothing more then a very small amount of DKP for a single night and a couple of very gimp drops (that rot 9 times out of 10).

The fact of the matter is that our best raid force is online between 8:30-10:00 PST, yet we are just reaching the major targets (when we need people most) around 10:00 PST....moving the start time up an hour means we have our best force available when we need it most and people aren't missing out on the best drops

Few suggestions -

1) Have people show up at 7:30ish so we can actually start at 8PM...give a 0.2ish DKP bonus for people who are in time (or waiting outside) by 7:30.

2) Have fixed groups for each P1 mission....if we know who goes where before hand we don't have to waste time shuffling and explaining strats. IMO, groups 1-3 are always earth/air, so on and so forth.....

3) Charge NO DKP for P1/P2 drops and do not count them towards the 1 loot per night rule. I think loot is rotting not because it cannot be used, but because people don't want to waste their 1 loot item. Either we can open roll these items, or have people send the lootmaster a tell with what they are upgrading and give it to the most deserving person (my favorite).
Krisstoff
After Hours Member
After Hours Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Culdahl wrote:
Have people show up at 7:30ish so we can actually start at 8PM

We need to start trying to do this for ALL raids. Most of the time we don't OTM until around 8:20-8:30. Just my 2 cents Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Board All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: